In closing a turbulent year in which we fought escalating assaults on both the LGBTQ and immigrant communities, we would like to take a moment to reflect on our collective successes. Below are our 2017 Top Ten accomplishments. We couldn’t have achieved these without you!
1) Reached our 1000th client victory for LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants!
2) Secured the release of people like Denis, a gay, HIV-positive Russian asylum-seeker, from immigration detention.
Watch Denis tell his story through our video partnership with Them. Please note this video contains graphic scenes of violence.
3) Maintained a 99% success rate for all of our clients!
4) Endorsed and organized LGBTQ and immigrant solidarity rallies—like this one featuring New York City Council Member Corey Johnson and Immigration Equality clients Ishalaa and Oliver.
5) Responded to the cries for help of more than 3,500 people in need from around the world.
6) Took client spokespeople to Capitol Hill to demand that Congress defend DACA and the asylum system.
7) Provided free attorneys to 660 immigrants and families across the United States.
8) Partnered with Lin-Manuel Miranda for the viral Immigrants: We Get the Job Done campaign celebrating the vast diversity and contributions of immigrants.
9) Sued the government in federal district court to ensure the Muslim and Refugee Ban did not keep members of our community from returning home to the U.S.
BONUS! Our own Pamela Denzer was named one of the top HIV activists in America by POZ Magazine!
I am so proud of what we accomplished in 2017 and I hope you are too. Thank you again for your support!
Aaron C. Morris
Executive Director, Immigration Equality