Thank you for another amazing year! Together, we were able to accomplish so much for our community and our clients. Here are ten highlights from our work in 2015:
We kept on winning cases and saving lives.
1) We won our 850th victory, reuniting families and winning asylum!
2) We maintained a remarkable 99% win rate.
We helped more LGBT immigrants than ever before.
3) We gave expert legal advice to over 5,000 people from around the world who needed our help.
4) We are currently providing direct legal services to over 600 immigrants in 28 states, nearly doubling our 2013 caseload.
5) We started our groundbreaking Pro Se program, the first in the country, empowering LGBT and HIV-affected immigrants with legal resources and knowledge.
We made sure our clients’ stories were heard everywhere.
6) Our client Estrella was featured in the New York Times, highlighting the abuses trans women experience in detention.
7) I gave an interview on MSNBC to talk about our work and tell Tamara’s story.
We had some landmark moments.
8) Our beloved Asylum Program Supervisor, Pamela Denzer, completed her 1000th intake!
9) We celebrated marriage equality with our LGBT immigrant family nationwide, especially our binational couples.
10) With the help of over 100 LGBTQ and immigrant rights organizations, we successfully halted Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s plan to detain transgender women in Adelanto Detention Center, an isolated, dangerous facility.
We went above and beyond!
11) Our Legal Director, Aaron Morris, argued before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, helping win status for Carey Avendano-Hernandez, a transgender woman who fled lifelong persecution and torture in Mexico due to her gender identity. The court’s decision soundly rejected the conflation of sexual orientation and gender identity, reminding courts nationwide that trans women are women.
We’re so proud of all we’ve accomplished this year together.
Please make a tax-deductible donation before the new year begins, so that we can serve even more LGBT immigrants in 2016.
Executive Director, Immigration Equality
P.S. If you donate before December 31st, your gift will be matched 100%, doubling your impact!