Staff Attorney, Pro Bono Program
New York, NY
Immigration Equality seeks an attorney to help maintain our successful pro bono representation program for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ), and HIV-positive immigrants. The attorney will join our two current staff attorneys and one paralegal to mentor volunteer attorneys, to identify potential impact litigation cases, and to strengthen law firm relationships.
Immigration Equality is the country’s largest legal services and advocacy organization for LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants. More than 100 of the nation’s finest law firms participate in our pro bono program, as do dozens of volunteer attorneys. Together, we represent more than 650 clients per year, with pro bono attorneys handling 80% of those cases. Recruiting new law firms to join the program and encouraging veteran attorneys to expand their engagement is critical to our ability to serve LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants. The right person for this job understands the needs of immigrant clients as well as the needs of the attorneys participating in the program. The goals of the position are (1) to ensure that our clients receive the highest quality pro bono representation and (2) to provide pro bono attorneys with the guidance and resources to feel great about helping our community. The position reports to the Legal Director.
- Cultivation: Mentor attorneys and law firms currently in Immigration Equality’s pro bono program; conduct initial strategy calls with attorneys on legal services cases; respond to attorney questions; edit and comment on attorney work product.
- Training: Organize trainings for pro bono attorneys and develop training materials; teach CLE programs.
- Case-handling: Perform intake interviews for potential clients and respond to inquiries through our web-based legal “hotline.”
- Impact Litigation: Assist the Executive Director in identifying areas to engage in impact litigation. Mentor law firm partners to research potential impact lawsuits and to vet potential plaintiffs. Co-counsel with pro bono attorneys on federal and state court impact litigation.
- Policy assist the policy team in drafting and advocating for systemic changes in the immigration system;
- Direct Service: Engage in limited direct legal services, as needed, on issues affecting LGBTQ immigrants including: asylum, removal defense, family-based immigration, detention advocacy, DACA applications, federal appeals, etc.;
- Program Development: Occasionally, assist the development team in fundraising for our pro bono program, especially from law firms and in-house counsel; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- J.D. and license to practice law in any state or district of the U.S.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Remarkable attention to detail
- Strong public speaking skills
- Experience in asylum law
- Ability to work well on a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to travel as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to LGBTQ issues and/or immigration issues, preferably both
- District court litigation experience is a plus
- Spanish, Russian, or French language skills are a plus
Immigration Equality is an equal opportunity employer: immigrants, people of color, and transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization with an open plan office. Applicants are expected to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment. We are a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the most potent human rights issues of our time, and do it with terrific colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks lasting results, this is the place for you.
Salary and Benefits
Salary 68,000, depending on experience. Excellent benefits provided, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation per year.
Send a compelling cover letter and chronological resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Staff Attorney, Pro Bono Program in the subject line of your email.
Please, no phone calls.
Applications from unlicensed law school graduates will not be considered.