Immigration Equality and the Immigration Equality Action Fund seek a dynamic, passionate person to join our development team. We are proud to be the national leaders in the field we pioneered: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV immigration rights. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,200 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
Founded in 1994, Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We take calls every day from clients who need help right now and we work to change the systems that have lasting impact on how LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants are treated. We work with asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. Finally, through our Action Fund, we lobby federal policymakers to pass progressive legislation consistent with our mission goals.
Today, we rededicate ourselves to empowering and protecting one of the most vibrant, resilient, and diverse communities in the world. In more than 70 countries, it is still a crime to be LGBTQ. In many more, it is fundamentally unsafe. At the same time, we are fighting with vicious resolve against an administration that seeks to roll back protections it took decades to obtain. We are proud to do life-saving work.
Special Events Manager
This is a great opportunity for someone who is enthusiastic and eager to take on an unparalleled opportunity to grow our special events fundraising operation. Our ideal candidate sees an opportunity for connection everywhere and enjoys stretching the donor circle wider. The candidate should also figure out the different ways that people can come together to support our fundraising goals. You are very creative and know how to throw a great party that leaves supporters learning more about the important work of Immigration Equality.
Lead the Special Events department by:
- Develop and execute ongoing strategy for all fundraising and small donor cultivation events that raise over $750K annually.
- Work collaboratively with other departments and development staff to create all event collateral needed to ensure events hit their revenue goal.
- Oversee all of ImEq’s exciting events; Safe Have Awards, SHINE Awards, Liberation- Provincetown, Holiday Party, and Liberation – Fire Island. Serve as lead, which includes managing volunteers, creation of event briefings and timelines, working with vendors, budgets and RSVP management, and more.
- Manage the organization’s corporate partnership events – lunch and learns/panel discussions.
- Take initiative to create new, strategic events that help grow fundraising revenue.
- Work with Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors for all events. This includes managing sponsorships, and in-kind donations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Two to five years of similar experience in a fundraising office.
- Initiative and the ability and willingness to collaborate and cooperate with colleagues when needed; comfortable working independently when needed.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with accounting and budgeting.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook calendar programs; Salesforce knowledge a plus.
- Willingness to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner and with attention to detail.
- Ability to think strategically. Effective long-term planning and contingency planning to ensure goals are met.
- Frequent evening, weekend work, and some travel.
Immigration Equality is an equal opportunity employer: immigrants, transgender people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization with an open office plan. Applicants are expected to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
Immigration Equality is a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the two most potent issues of our time, and do it with terrific colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks results, this is the place for you.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range $47-63K, commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits, including 100% fully paid heath, vision, and dental insurance premiums. Four weeks of vacation, and an additional 18 days of PTO annually. A 401(k) plan with an employer match, long-term disability insurance, and more.
To apply: Submit a detailed cover letter explaining why this job would be a wonderful fit for you, your salary requirement and your chronological resume with Special Events Manager in the subject line to jobs (at) immigrationequality.org