Spanish Speaking Paralegal/Legal Assistant
Immigration Equality is seeking an enthusiastic paralegal/legal assistant to provide administrative support to our legal staff in New York City. We are proud to be the national leaders in the field we pioneered: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and HIV immigration rights. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,000 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
Founded in 1994, Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We take calls every day from clients who need help right now and we work to change the systems that have lasting impact on how LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants are treated. We work with LGBTQ and HIV-positive asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. Finally, through our Action Fund, we lobby local, state, and federal policymakers to pass progressive legislation consistent with our mission goals.
Today, we rededicate ourselves to empowering and protecting one of the most vibrant, resilient, and diverse communities in the world. In nearly 80 countries, it is still a crime to be LGBTQ. In many more, it is fundamentally unsafe. At the same time, we are fighting with vicious resolve against an administration that seeks to roll back protections it took decades to obtain. We are proud to do life-saving work.
- Answer Immigration Equality’s telephone and respond to requests for legal assistance
- Respond to calls/letters from detained immigrants
- Maintain our client database and update our dockets
- Copy and file, gather evidence, research and index country conditions materials, etc.
- Organize and scan existing country conditions materials, sample briefs, and other materials which support asylum applications (and/or supervise volunteers on this project)
- File papers with immigration court/DHS
- Translate evidence and other documents into English (and/or supervise
volunteers on this project)
- Give attorney referrals in appropriate cases
- Assist clients to access social services when necessary
- Schedule intakes for legal staff; assist with new client intakes
- Translate during in-person and/or phone interviews
- Provide general legal administrative support
- Represent Immigration Equality at community events and outreach efforts
- Assist staff attorneys in matching clients with pro bono counsel
- Must have an undergraduate or advanced degree
- Must be organized and detail oriented (this position presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who is considering law school)
- Must multitask well
- Must have a sincere commitment and interest in advocating for equality for LGBT/HIV-positive people under U.S. immigration law
- Spanish fluency is required (spoken; written and reading comprehension)
Immigration Equality is an equal opportunity employer: immigrants, transgender people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization with an open office plan. Applicants are expected to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment. Immigration Equality is a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the two most potent issues of our time, and do it with terrific colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks results, this is the place for you.
Salary and Benefits
Salary 45,000.00. Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.
Please send a chronological resume and compelling cover letter to with “Paralegal” in the subject line to jobs (at) immigrationequality (dot) org. Applicants who are invited for interviews will also be required to submit a short writing sample and references.
No phone calls please. Electronic submission of documents only.