Home > Get Legal Help

Consulta en español.
Consulter en français.
Получите юридическую помоь

U.S. immigration law is complex and always changing. Nationally, 11% of asylum seekers do not have counsel. 88% of these cases are denied by immigration judges. Navigating the immigration system is daunting on your own. We’re here to help.

Get Legal Help

If you are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) and/or HIV-positive and have a legal question or need representation, our expert legal team can help.

  1. Read our Legal Resources.
  2. Send us your question. Fill out our confidential form, and our legal team will respond to your question. Be thorough. If you qualify for direct representation, we will schedule an appointment with you to speak further.
  3. Reach out early. Do not wait until you are in immediate danger of deportation – it is much harder to help if you are already in an emergency situation.
  4. We want to speak to clients directly. If you are a friend or family member, ask your loved one who has an immigration question to contact us directly. Our staff is multilingual, fluent in Cantonese, English, French, Mandarin, Russian, and Spanish. We also have a team of volunteer translators. You can help as a translator, too.
  5. We are a national organization based in New York City. We can answer your questions no matter where you live in the United States, and may also be able to connect you with a local attorney from our pro bono network.

“Ever since I came to Immigration Equality, my whole life has changed. I feel safe, empowered, and even sexy.” — Wyllys, Dominican Republic, granted asylum September 2013

Contact Our Legal Team

Inquiry is in language:
Inquiry on behalf of:
Inquirer’s name:
Non-citizen’s First Name:
Non-citizen’s Last Name:
Country of origin of non-citizen:
Current Country:
Trans Designation:
Sexual Orientation:
HIV Status:
Is the non-citizen currently detained?
Is the non-citizen part of a binational couple?
Are there children in your family?
Please check if your household’s combined annual income is below $31,000.

In a legal emergency, call (212) 714-2904. Trained paralegals staff our legal emergency national hotline during the day (Eastern Standard Time) each weekday. Emergency situations could include:

  • You are in a detention facility. We take collect calls.
  • You are in immediate danger of being deported.
  • Your lawful status in the U.S. is about to expire.

We answer thousands of calls for help each year. Please be patient as we get to your question.

“Thanks to my team of lawyers from Kirkland & Ellis and Immigration Equality, I can live openly and without fear.” — D, from Russia, granted asylum March 2014