Office and Executive Assistant
Location: New York City
Immigration Equality and the Immigration Equality Action Fund seek a dynamic, passionate leader to join our senior management team. We are proud to be the national leaders in the field we pioneered: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and HIV immigration rights. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,000 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
Founded in 1994, Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We take calls every day from clients who need help right now and we work to change the systems that have lasting impact on how LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants are treated. We work with LGBTQ and HIV-positive asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. Finally, through our Action Fund, we lobby local, state, and federal policymakers to pass progressive legislation consistent with our mission goals.
Today, we rededicate ourselves to empowering and protecting one of the most vibrant, resilient, and diverse communities in the world. In nearly 80 countries, it is still a crime to be LGBTQ. In many more, it is fundamentally unsafe. At the same time, we are fighting with vicious resolve against an administration that seeks to roll back protections it took decades to obtain. We are proud to do life-saving work.
Office and Executive Assistant
We are seeking a very organized and detail oriented individual to become our Office and Executive Assistant. This full time position reports to the Executive Director and the Operations Director and works closely with all staff, the Board and other constituents and stake holders.
The Office and Executive Assistant and will have the following responsibilities:
Assistant to the Executive Director (30% time)
- Assist the ED with scheduling; maintain correspondence with donors, law firms, foundation and corporate prospects and general outreach in a timely and professional manner
- Book and handle all travel arrangements for the ED, speaking engagements including interactions with host organizations/companies, check voicemail and prep materials for meetings; prepare streamlined travel agendas and packages for ED
- Assist the ED with daily administrative duties including communications (phone, mail, email) providing timely, engaging interactions with board members, major donors, foundation and corporate representatives, and senior executives in the private and non-profit sectors
- Assist ED manage an active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries and agendas and compiling documents for meetings.
- Process expense reports and organize receipts
- Coordinate board meetings and dinners; and compile, assemble, and distribute Board meeting materials.
- Coordinate various Board Committee meetings, maintain confidential files and contact information; coordinate meetings, conferences, and committees both on- and off- site to support the ED’s agenda.
- Help with coordination of speaking engagements including interactions with host organizations/companies.
- Coordinate projects of the management team and work closely with senior managers to ensure communication and resource flow
- Other duties as assigned.
Office Management (70% time)
- Orient and instruct employees and interns on office tools and policies
- Organize and facilitate new hire orientations
- Process bank deposits
- Ensuring the filing of staff timesheets and creating reports to process payroll
- Manage office storage unit(s) and organize supplies
- Assist staff with accurately coding and reporting of expenses
- Assist OD with human resources tasks
- Coordinate staff retreat and other all staff and office events
- Set up regular all-staff meetings and take minutes
- Code and process invoices
- Anticipate needs and manage office supplies, organize and straighten the office as needed
- Monitor and assist OD in reporting to charity rating sites
- Disaster preparedness preparation for office
- Vendor management
- Other duties as assigned
- Perform related administrative and clerical duties for the ED and Operations Department including, but not limited to: manage a heavy load of communications (telephone, mail, fax, email), arranging conference calls, photocopying, faxing, filing, record keeping and organizing briefing materials
- Provide overall coordination for the ED and OD’s calendars, ensuring the time of the ED and OD are maximized and operating in line with priorities. Schedule meetings, manage requests, and additional administrative tasks
- Provide occasional assistance outside the normal schedule to accommodate and support the office
- College degree preferred not required
- Expert in MS Office software, Word, Outlook and Excel
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with others at all levels
- Extremely organized, attentive, detail oriented
- Active and quick learner and patient listener
- A willingness to perform administrative tasks with enthusiasm and attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
- Ability to prioritize work and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
Immigration Equality is an equal opportunity employer: immigrants, transgender people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization with an open office plan. Applicants are expected to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
Immigration Equality is a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the two most potent issues of our time, and do it with terrific colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks results, this is the place for you.
Salary and Benefits
Salary 45,000.00. Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.
To apply: Submit a detailed cover letter explaining why this job would be a wonderful fit for you and your chronological resume with Office and Executive Assistant in the subject line to jobs (at) immigrationequality.org