Immigration Equality and the Immigration Equality Action Fund seek a dynamic, passionate person to join our communications team. We are proud to be the national leaders in the field we pioneered: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and HIV immigration rights. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,200 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
Founded in 1994, Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We take calls every day from clients who need help right now and we work to change the systems that have lasting impact on how LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants are treated. We work with LGBTQ and HIV-positive asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. Finally, through our Action Fund, we lobby federal policymakers to pass progressive legislation consistent with our mission goals.
We help empower and protect one of the most vibrant, resilient, and diverse communities in the world. In nearly 80 countries, it is still a crime to be LGBTQ, and in many more, it is fundamentally unsafe. At the same time, we are fight against an administration that seeks to roll back protections it took decades to obtain. We are proud to do this life-saving work.
Immigration Equality is seeking an experienced, dynamic, creative, highly skilled individual to become our new Communications Manager. The Communications Manager is a full-time permanent position and will be based in our New York City office. The position will work closely with our legal and development staff to help support the core components of our communications work including digital media, press relations, advocacy, client engagement, fundraising, and key administrative support. The Communications Manager will report to the Communications Director and will collaborate with individuals and teams across the organization, as well as outside consultants, and interns and volunteers.
Given that the role has a broad set of responsibilities, we are open to training the right candidate in the areas where they need additional development.
Occasional evening, weekend work and some travel may be required.
Media Relations and Public Speaking
- Support or assist in media relations, maintaining media lists coordinating responses to developing stories, building reporter relationships, pitching stories, and fielding requests for information and interviews
- Monitor media, including tracking Immigration Equality media mentions and relevant press coverage to regularly distribute to staff, and staying up to date on relevant immigration and/or LGBTQ news and policy developments
- Assist with drafting and editing press releases, media advisories, talking points, and other media materials
- Give background interviews as needed
- Represent Immigration Equality at events and participate in panels and public speaking engagements as needed
- Support launch of Immigration Equality re-brand and website in 2020
- Serve as the primary internal brand steward, maintaining and informing staff, consultants, and volunteers about templates, style guides, preferred language, and organizational best practices
- Ensure content reflects Immigration Equality’s tone, style, message, and branding; ensure branding and tone are consistent across multiple media platforms
- Create and/or coordinate creation of new written and visual content across digital platforms (e.g. graphics, videos)
- Monitor and make recommendations based on performance analytics across digital platforms
- Promptly respond to inquiries submitted through social media and email
- Manage Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, including posting regularly and cultivating influencers
- Maintain website and regularly update content
- Format and send emails using Mailchimp or other customer relationship management tool
- Serve as primary liaison between former clients and Immigration Equality, sharing updates on events and resources, and managing individual non-legal client inquiries
- Support current client-advocates and spokespeople and cultivate new ones, supporting them with media training, preparation for interviews and public speaking, and accompanying them to interviews and events
- Support logistics for client-centered events
Our office is an open-plan, newsroom-style space that enables a free flow of ideas. The ideal candidate is a well-organized, extremely detail-oriented, media-savvy, resourceful individual. The right person for the job will have:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Two to four years of professional experience
- Excellent writing skills required
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills required
- Experience with MS office, Salesforce, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, and website management a plus
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage multiple tasks on deadline, and a self-starter
- Remarkably strong writing, editing, and oral communication skills – able to write in more than one voice and for more than one medium
- Proficiency in Spanish or Russian a plus
The ideal candidate will be:
- Calm under pressure – able to juggle multiple priorities, detail-oriented, and decisive
- Willing to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner and with attention to detail.
- Able to think strategically. Effective long-term planning and contingency planning to ensure goals are met.
- Cooperative and willing to and take initiative to collaborate with colleagues when needed and comfortable working independently when needed.
- Flexible, nimble, and resilient – able to shift strategy while maintaining focus on end goal
- Curious and a great listener – our clients are our top priority, and we always strive to create a safe and welcoming atmosphere for them
Immigration Equality is an equal opportunity employer: immigrants, transgender people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Immigration Equality is a progressive organization with an open office plan. Applicants are expected to collaborate within a diverse and inclusive environment.
Immigration Equality is a mission-driven organization full of smart, dedicated people. If you want to work at the cutting edge of the two most potent issues of our time, and do it with terrific colleagues in a fast-paced, nimble organization that seeks results, this is the place for you.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience with a range of $50,000 – $55,000. Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan with employer contribution, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.
Send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to jobs (at) immigrationequality (dot) org.
Please include “Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Writing samples should include:
- Example of writing for a digital platform: web (written content); social media (compilation of social media posts); or email (example of email you wrote to large list of subscribers)
- Two additional brief writing samples, less than five pages each (e.g. Op-Ed, blog post, essay, etc.) Does not have to be from digital platform.