Location: New York City
Immigration Equality and the Immigration Equality Action Fund seek a dynamic, passionate person to join our development team. We are proud to be the national leaders in the field we pioneered: lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV immigration rights. We helped end the HIV travel ban, led the successful fight to secure green cards for LGBTQ families, and have directly represented more than 1,200 LGBTQ asylum seekers.
Founded in 1994, Immigration Equality has a dual focus of direct representation and impact work. We take calls every day from clients who need help right now and we work to change the systems that have lasting impact on how LGBTQ and HIV-positive immigrants are treated. We work with asylum seekers, detained individuals, and binational couples, answering more than 3,500 hotline calls and representing more than 600 individual litigants each year. We also engage in impact litigation to protect the interests of our community. Finally, through our Action Fund, we lobby federal policymakers to pass progressive legislation consistent with our mission goals.
Today, we rededicate ourselves to empowering and protecting one of the most vibrant, resilient, and diverse communities in the world. In nearly 80 countries, it is still a crime to be LGBTQ. In many more, it is fundamentally unsafe. At the same time, we are fighting with vicious resolve against an administration that seeks to roll back protections it took decades to obtain. We are proud to do life-saving work.
Annual Giving Manager
We seek an enthusiastic individual, eager to take on an unparalleled opportunity to grow our annual giving fundraising operation. You should be comfortable “making the asks!” We desire someone who is energized by meeting and talking to new people and who is willing to make every supporter feel important.
Our ideal candidate will easily identify opportunities for connections everywhere and will enjoy stretching our network of individual supporters even wider. This is a great growth opportunity for someone looking to have more face-to-face donor interaction while looking for creative ways to build out the organization’s current annual fund program. You are very creative and know how to have a great conversation that leaves supporters learning more about the important work of Immigration Equality.
- Manage a growing portfolio of individual donors providing $375,000(+) in individual contributions each year.
- Deliver meaningful donor stewardship through acknowledgment letters, welcome packets, reports, phone calls, thank you notes and in-person meetings. Integrate senior leadership and staff in donor recognition strategies as appropriate.
- Manage annual direct-mail appeals, including thematic development and writing, budgeting and scheduling, market testing and segmentation, internal approvals, distribution and email solicitation follow-up. Work with Communications team on messaging and to create inspiring, compelling print materials for donors.
- Work with members of the Board of Trustees and Associate Board to steward their donors.
- Meet in-person with 8-10 donors per month.
- Collaborate with Senior Manager – Special Events to create and implement donor cultivation and recognition events
- In collaboration with Development Director, identify and institute tracking systems to move donors through a specially designed moves management process.g-term planning and contingency planning to ensure goals are met.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Budgeting and financial management experience desired.
- Two to five years of proven effective annual fund experience.
- Adept in fostering relationships with high net worth donors and staff at all levels.
- Awareness of best practices in direct mail, gift solicitation, and stewardship.
- Excellent writing, proof reading, and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of, and experience, in new donor acquisition activities.
- Ability to prioritize fundraising activities effectively, and work at a fast pace under tight deadlines.
- Proven track record of exhibiting strong initiative and ability to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Ability to think strategically. Effective long-term planning and contingency planning to ensure goals are met.
- Professional presence and the ability to represent the mission externally to build donor relationships.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience using Salesforce a plus.
- Available some evenings and weekends
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Please include your salary requirement in your cover letter. Excellent benefits, including full health insurance coverage, dental and vision, 401(k) plan with match, long-term disability insurance, and four weeks of vacation annually.